Tuesday 5 August 2014

Q is for Q-värde

Q is not an easy letter in Swedish and there aren’t many words to choose from. The easiest would have been Quaker – but in Swedish the word Quaker doesn’t begin with a Q, but a K – for Kväkare! I could have chosen a Latin word, but that felt like cheating. So I’ve chosen Q-värde, which in English means Quality factor.

Over the years I have met people who have put more emphasis on the quality of life than the quantity of money or prestige that life can amass. A man I translate for has chosen to work three-quarter time rather than full time, for ‘quality of life’ reasons. The quality factor can mean different things to different people.
As I was born and brought up in Yorkshire I was encouraged to be thrifty. That can mean choosing cheap, rather than quality, although experience has taught me that choosing quality often turns out to be cheaper – and more sustainable – in the end.

In terms of my spiritual life, the quality factor is being able to worship and live out my unique ministry in a way that enhances me, my life, my family, my work, my surroundings and the people and creatures around me. This is not always easy, but for me, being a Quaker enables me to express my faith in a way that is challenging, sustainable, nourishing, enriching and meaningful. In my book this boils down to quality.

In terms of my work, it means being able to run my own business and do work that I enjoy and that helps others to further their ideas and publish their research results to an English-speaking audience. Quality also means eating and living healthily – and having a lovely husband who cooks all my meals! Above all, it means having time to just be.

What does the Quality factor mean for you, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment